Thelongestfilm.com – Pain and Gain Movie Cast and Synopsis. To get something, we have to go through a process that requires struggle. In that process, too, we will be tested on how much intention and consistency we have to fight for what we want.
Not infrequently, people choose to give up on going through the process. Some are even looking for an instant way.
For gym enthusiasts, there is no instant way to shape their bodies. They will practice diligently, change their lifestyle, and take supplements so that their goals can be achieved.
In the movie Pain & Gain, the goal of some gym freaks is no longer to shape their bodies but to achieve the so-called American Dreams.
Pain and Gain Movie Cast and Synopsis
In 1994, Daniel Lugo, a former convict bodybuilder, was appointed manager of Sun Gym by owner John Mese. The presence of Lugo, who often becomes a trainer, has tripled the number of gym members.
Lugo befriends his mentor, Adrian Doorbal. Adrian is also a bodybuilder but suffers from impotence due to taking steroids.
Victor Kershaw, a wealthy businessman, signed up to become a member at Sun Gym. He asked to trained directly by Lugo. Lugo is jealous of Kershaw’s luxurious life.
When he attended a seminar held by a motivator, John Wu, Lugo immediately advised to become a “do-er” or someone who does something without having to think and talk much.
Inspired by Wu’s words, Lugo began to look for ways to realize his desire to live in luxury and not worry about financial problems.
The first thing he wanted to do was take Kershaw’s assets by kidnapping Kershaw. Lugo invites Doorbal and Paul Doyle, an ex-con who is trying to get himself closer to Christianity.
Lugo and his two colleagues managed to kidnap Kershaw even though it took several attempts. They took Kershaw to a small shed. Blindfolded Kershaw, can recognize Lugo’s voice and character.
Under threat from Lugo, Kershaw calls and demands that his family leave America, sign paperwork for surrendering assets and say he will disappear.
- Mark Wahlberg as Daniel Lugo: A bodybuilder and the mastermind behind the kidnapping scheme.
- Dwayne Johnson as Paul Doyle: A born-again Christian and recovering addict who becomes involved in the criminal plot.
- Anthony Mackie as Adrian Doorbal: A bodybuilder struggling with body image issues and financial problems, also involved in the kidnapping.
- Tony Shalhoub as Victor Kershaw: A wealthy businessman and the unfortunate victim of the trio’s kidnapping plan.
- Ed Harris as Detective Ed Du Bois: A private investigator hired by Victor Kershaw to track down his captors.
- Rebel Wilson as Robin Peck: Adrian Doorbal’s girlfriend and eventual wife, who becomes caught up in the chaos.
- Bar Paly as Sorina Luminita: A former stripper and Daniel Lugo’s love interest who plays a part in the criminal activities.
- Rob Corddry as John Mese: Daniel Lugo’s lawyer and friend who gets involved in the aftermath of the crimes.
- Ken Jeong as Johnny Wu: A motivational speaker who unknowingly gets entangled with the criminal activities of the trio.
- Michael Rispoli as Frank Griga: A businessman and associate of Victor Kershaw who also falls victim to the kidnapping plot.
- Tony Plana as Captain Lopez: A police captain overseeing the investigation of the crimes.
Stories Based on True Stories
Pain & Gain is based on a true story. In the mid-90s, a group called the Sun Gym Gang committed crimes consisting of kidnapping, extortion, torture, and murder in Miami.
The screenplay for this film taken from an article in the Miami New Times in 1999 entitled Pain & Gain: This Is a True Story.
Taking stories from true stories also mentioned in the first prologue, with Wahlberg’s voice as Lugo. Firmly and trying to convince the audience, he said that this incident was real.
All the silliness that is done by the characters in this film is quite biased. Of course, the true story interleaved with fiction to make it more interesting, but the question successfully pushed aside because of the way this film tells a fun story.
Condensed Black Comedy Elements
If we don’t see who the director of Pain & Gain, maybe we won’t be surprised. But the presence of Michael Bay in the director’s chair made this film show that he dared to make something different.
This film is far from typical Bay, which shows a lot of action and explosions. Instead, elements of black comedy are thicker. Cinematographically, this film uses a lot of mid-shots to record the actions of Lugo and his friends.
What makes Bay’s work far different from his other works is his courage in presenting scenes of violence. Kershaw run over, and Doyle burned body parts like barbecues, to name some examples.
Pain & Gain is a film that tries to provide entertainment through ridiculous actions that tend to make no sense but are based on true stories.